Crab Curry

By: Prasanna| Published: 2:09:00 PM
One of my favorite seafood is Crabs...I can prepare variations in crab dishes..few learned from my sister.
This crab preparation is a slight variation to my mom's traditional crab curry. One of the other crab preparations i love to eat is Stuffed Rava Fried Crabs :)

I was longing to eat crabs but to prepare Indian style crab curry, either the crabs have to be  medium in size or cut properly. I didn't find nice small crabs, cut the way I want them anywhere, so I had lost hopes that I am ever going to find any. Finally I got crabs nicely cut, full of nice soft meat and easy to eat...although they look pretty rock solid !!

This curry goes really well with hot steamed rice and even with rotis, if you prepare the curry slightly thick.
I prepare lot of seafood since I am from Goa , so for me having a hearty meal with fish curry, rice, sol kadi,fish fry, is all I want :D.... Plus if there is Mango at the end of the meal then I am done!!

Do try this recipe and enjoy one hearty meal!!





Ingredients:

  • 500 gms Crabs, cleaned, cut, preferably with cuts on shells(easy to eat)
  • 1 Cup Grated Coconut
  • 6 Cloves
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic
  • 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
  • 2 Petals of Mace
  • 4 Black Peppercorns
  • 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
  • 1/4 Tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
  • 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
  • Salt as per taste
  • A small tamarind ball
  • 1 Medium Sized Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Small Onion,vertically sliced
  • 1 Tbsp Malvani Masala powder
  • 2 Tbsp Oil

Method:
  •  Clean the crabs. In a pan, add crabs, finely chopped onion and turmeric powder. Add sufficient water. Do not add too much as you need to over cook it to reduce the water quantity later.
  • Cook the crabs over medium flame.
  • Meanwhile, in a kadai, add oil, add all dry whole spices mentioned. Add grated coconut, vertically sliced onion,garlic and tamarind.
  • On a medium flame, roast these ingredients till the mixture turns brown.
  • Let this mixture cool, then in a mixer grinder, grind this to a smooth paste with little water.
  • The crabs are cooking simultaneously. Now add Malvani masala powder to it.
  • Once the crabs are 80% done, add this ground mixture to the crabs.
  • Cook till crabs are done completely. 
  • Add salt.
  • Serve hot with Rice.



Tips:  

  • You can increase or decrease the spices as per your choice.
  • Instead of Malvani masala you can add any other homemade or ready made masalas you prefer.

Enjoy Eating!!!
Labels: ,

Hi, I'm Prasanna!

I will be the first one to admit that I am an accidental food blogger. I love trying out new recipes and giving them a twist of my own. Hope you enjoy trying out the recipes ... do leave me your valuable feedback 😊

Don't miss out!

Get New Posts straight to your inbox!

    We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at anytime.

    Comments